Thursday, February 9, 2012

Little Green Barn


SmugMug Daily Link

I was telling Photofreak the other day that NC has a lot more green barns than red barns.  I always admire the red barn shots she posts in her daily gallery.  My daily today is one of the green barns I see locally so often.  Many of these are used to dry tobacco.  I'm not sure what the purpose of this one is.  I just liked the trees around it and the dirt road going past it.  As I took the shots, I noticed my shadow getting into them.  I was able to take some without it yet I liked the ones that contained it too.  I thought my daily capture might be a good addition to Paula's shadow challenge.  This is an HDR image where I tried not to overdo it.  There was a tiny white building off in the distance, and I cloned it out because I felt it was distracting.  I was parked at the end of a driveway to take this shot.  It was one of those times where the dogs on all the adjoining properties went nuts.  One owner came out, studied that odd girl taking pictures of what I surmise was his barn, and then went back in.  Whew...  And, yes, the background image is a close-up of the barn itself.

Here's the original:




SmugMug Link

Here's one of the shots without the shadow:



SmugMug Link

I stopped at a swampy area yesterday that I pass on the to/from school run each day.  I was pleased to see a hawk and get the opportunity to photograph not only him but his mate.  I think these are red-shouldered hawks vs. the red-tailed hawks that I so often see.  All of these images were done on with my Canon SX40 HS with a digital zoom of approx. an 840mm equivalent.  Although the images are not really print quality, I sure did enjoy watching these beautiful birds!


SmugMug Link

Here's the  swamp area in HDR:


SmugMug Link

At another location, I spotted this old homestead that never would be visible in the summer when the leaves are on the trees.


SmugMug Link

I want to go closer and explore really bad, but there's a no trespassing sign.  However, there's a name and number on the sign, so maybe I'll call and ask permission.  Better do it quick before the trees leaf out!


SmugMug Link

2 comments:

Susan W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan W said...

I really like the photo with the shadow. It would be great without it, but I do like the element it adds. I would definitely be calling the number to be able to get closer to the house. Looks interesting.