Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Frappuccino Remake


SmugMug Link

Are any of you addicted to frappuccino's (Frap Frappe)  like I am?  Until recently, I was drinking one Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino first thing each day.  I really enjoyed the sugar and caffeine kick!  Besides the fact that on average a small size bottle (9.5 fl. oz.) costs about a $1.50 (even purchased at Wal-Mart in a 4-pack), there's 33 grams of carbs and 180 calories in that little bottle.  In an effort to reduce carbs and processed foods, I started making my own.  At first I really missed the fact that my version was less sweet, but after a week of just drinking mine,  I am totally used to the new taste and enjoy mine just as well.  I'm thinking my brain is liking the fact that I keep using the Starbucks bottles, though;-)

So, what's in it?  Some heavy whipping cream is what I pour in first.  You can see about how much in the upper left picture in the collage.  I add the equivalent of one cup of coffee per bottle.  I mix about 1/4 cup of water with 1 teaspoon of my freeze dried coffee granules.  Of course you can use coffee from a leftover pot or brew some just for the drinks too.  I find the granules very convenient since I don't drink coffee otherwise.  Then I add in a very small amount of chocolate syrup.  Really, it's just enough to make sure the coffee is not bitter and to create that classic Starbucks color.  Then I top it off with whole milk from Maple View Farms (when I have it).

It may not be less in calories, but it's cheaper and tastes yummy and I know exactly what's going in it!

Anyone else have a homemade coffee beverage recipe they'd like to share?

No comments: