Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Light Wheel Goes Round and Round


SmugMug Daily Link

It was near bedtime for the boys, and I realized that I didn't have a POTD yet.  I asked them if they'd like to make light movement pictures with me, and showed them the light wheel I thought we'd use.  We picked this up at the Museum of Life and Science over the summer thinking we'd use it for a photo shoot.  The kids were thrilled to finally be breaking it out.

I really like many of the shots I took being a girl that enjoys bold colors, abstract patterns, and the use of movement in many of her shots.  But, when I saw Johnny's face lit up from the wheel, and Johnny did too, I decided I'd try to bring out the best in one from that series.

Here's the original.  I worked to bring out the reflection in his eye and to remove the light line on his face which distracted me.  I filtered the shot and used Color Efex Pro to lighten the area over his face.  I darkened the shadows and then used another full frame light shot to make a frame.  I'd like a tad more smile in his cheek and for him to be more left in the frame, but otherwise it's what I'd hoped for.



SmugMug Link

This is not exactly the one we have, this one has lights on both ends, but it's very similar.


SmugMug Link



SmugMug Link

The background used in the POTD.


SmugMug Link

Johnny's mask.


SmugMug Link


SmugMug Link

Joey called this one DNA.


SmugMug Link

To me this one looks like a Slinky.


SmugMug Link

Maybe this is a Stargate.


SmugMug Link


Up and down, in and out, zig zag,  fast and slow...many different patterns can be created.

No comments: