Sunday, October 30, 2011

Autumn Leaves



SmugMug Daily Link

A was out in the yard for a few minutes yesterday afternoon after the rain left and the sun came out.  We still are not at peak color.  We've not had a frost yet, and I think last night was the first night the temps have fallen into the 30s (33?) so far this autumn.

I'm going to be very impressed if you know what kindof tree this 3 fingered glove looking leaf belongs to.  Are you ready?  Sassafras.  They are all over my yard mixed in with the oaks, maples, sweet gum, holly, and pines.  I love the unique shape of the leaves.

I also took the dogwood shot below.


SmugMug Link

And, a bit earlier in the day, this fern/creek shot in Donnie's front yard.  He loves the ferns and encourages them to grow throughout his yard and creek area.  I thought the colorful leaves in the creek behind them made for a nice backdrop.


SmugMug Link

Donnie and I are headed to Yates Mill for a walk around the millpond and hopefully some nice pics:-)

1 comment:

The Vollmers said...

Now...about that sassafras. You should have been able to see two other shapes of leaves on the same tree: a mitten shape and an "unlobed" oval (i.e., a football shape).

I remember being fascinated with those when I was a kid visiting my grandparents in eastern PA. I tried to find a pattern, but couldn't...