Thursday, September 1, 2011

Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes


SmugMug Link

Last night as a last minute idea, I decided we needed to do something with the russet potatoes I had.  Waa laa!  A quick Google search lead me to this recipe for au gratin potatoes.

Those that have cooked with me before know at least two things:
1. I always have helpers, and I love that!
2. I tend to deviate from the directions except when baking.  More is often better!

The kid were eager to get the potatoes ready.  I think this shot puts a whole new meaning on the concept of a man and his potatoes!


SmugMug Link

We had a boo boo.  Johnny put the cheese on the potatoes without melting.  No problem.  Just put everything in the pot, melt, and then put everything in the baking dish.  I used bag of shredded fiesta cheese blend.  I think medium cheddar might be a better choice.  Add a little Italian bread crumbs on top and more grated cheese if you like.  I can also see where fried onions might be a good choice over the thinly sliced raw onions.  I think you could add squash or some other sliced veggie too.  Give it a try sometime and let me know what you think and how you change it up.

We served ours with country style steak:-)

Now what I want to know is what else can the boys and I core/peel/slice with our new Pampered Chef tool?!?

No comments: