Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pileated Woodpecker


SmugMug Daily Link

Donnie and I stopped at Yates Mill yesterday about midday.  It was partly cloudy and bright as we walked around the Mill Pond Trail.  There was another man walking around with his camera, and he offered to take a few pics of us with my iPhone by the mill.  Then, on the trail, I noticed him taking pictures at something up high in a tree. Turns out it was a pileated woodpecker.  I didn't get a decent shot before he flew off but then he came back and I got a second chance.  I took some zoomed in shots and then some digital zoom shots plus some video.  How exciting!

Based on my research, this is a female since the red crest does not meet her bill.  Her forehead is gray.

Video This is probably my favorite shot of me and Donnie from our visit.
SmugMug Link And here are some more pics from our visit.
SmugMug Link Looks at this rust from the bridge support down near the mill!
SmugMug Link

No comments: