Monday, April 16, 2012

Eurasian Eagle Owl


SmugMug Daily Link

The kids and I traveled to Sylvan Heights Waterfowl Park again yesterday.  We try to go each track out from school which is at least 4 times a year.  I've said this before, and I'll say it again, if you're passing through NC near the VA line on I95 you really should plan a 4 hours visit to this park.

I don't think it was my best shooting day ever, and that's OK.  The kids and I had fun.  My goal was to take a really great Eurasian Eagle Owl eye shot.  I asked permission to go over the wooden rail keeping visitors an extra couple of feet away from the cage and it was granted, but I was warned that the female can sweep down and extend out past the cage very quickly.  I said I'd be careful.  She, and he, never flew down.  Whew.  I pretended not to be afraid and to have super human abilities to move faster than an owl just in case.  However, I didn't like any of the shots I got yesterday.  Her eyes looked like she was having spring allergies or something.  Instead I cleaned up and have posted a shot I took of her from January.  I had originally dismissed this shot because I didn't like my reflection in his/her eyes.

I also worked on this Mcaw, I thnk, shot a bit.


SmugMug Link

And here's a collage showing the rest of the bird shots I tooked and though worth taking a second look at.  We really enjoyed watching the Roseate Spoonbills and Sandhill Cranes.


SmugMug Link

The kids always have a good time at this park playing on the playground and in the tree house and the beaver blind.  I put together this pano of the kids in the tree house using Canon's PhotoStitch (because Microsoft ICE would not do what I wanted in this case) to have some fun with the kids.


SmugMug Link

The kids love it when the staff lets them 'pet' a chick up in the main building and when they get to feed Matilda the Cape (Africa) Barren Goose.


SmugMug Link

No comments: