Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful for Donnie


SmugMug Daily Link

I took this portrait of Donnie on a walk at the NC Museum of Art Park yesterday.  We went to the museum to see the Rembrandt in America exhibit showcasing the largest collection of Rembrandt paintings ever assembled in America.  (The paintings are on display until January 22, 2012.)

After thoroughly enjoying the show and other artwork in the main building, we ate a lunch in their cafe and then took a walk in the Museum Park.  The temps were dropping from the mid 70s to the lower 60s, and the winds were gusting up to 35mph, but it was a beautiful day with an energetic sky, and the air was still warm enough to thoroughly enjoy the walk.  We came across this bridge going over a creek on the trail, and I asked Donnie to stop and pose for me, and of course he obliged with the big smile of his.

I've had some difficult things happen to me this year including the death of my father in June and my diagnosis of breast cancer in October.  My kids have kept sunshine in my life through this, and although I've received much appreciated support from many friends which I am very thankful for, Donnie is the backbone of my support network, and I want him to know that  I am ever so thankful for his enduring love and assistance.  Even though I often tell him how much I appreciate him, on this day of thanks, I wanted to take a few minutes to thank him again.  In the past two weeks, he's driven me everywhere I've gone including doctor's appointments, the boys to/from school, and parks and other fun places for photo ops and overall stress relief. He's cooked breakfast for me and the boys, walked our energetic dog Buddy, taken out the trash, vacuumed, and entertained the boys with wrestling and other 'guy' activities in the evenings.  When I've been sad, he's made me laugh or helped me get out and take pictures to pick up my mood.  When I've cried, he's given me a hug and wiped the tears from my eyes.  When I've been frustrated with the world, he's listened and offered kind words.  And when I've been cold he's even given me his jacket and/or blocked the wind.  He's just that kindof a guy.  I know I'm very lucky to have him, and I hope he knows how much I appreciate all the things he's done for me with a smile on his face and warmth in his heart.  It takes a special person to do all he's done.

I took a few other interesting pictures in the museum and on the park trail yesterday.  I was totally fascinated with the light fixtures in the museum! Here in the lobby:


SmugMug Link

These are in the cafeteria:


SmugMug Link


SmugMug Link


SmugMug Link

The leaves were really flying, and upper left Donnie is having fun throwing leaves up and watching them fly away.  Lower right, Donnie is playing cowboys and Indians on a rubber tire and wood structure called The Conversationalist.  Lower left, Donnie is pretending to kick the 'bottom' of a piece of artwork called Collapse I which obviously looks like a man lying down on his side with no clothes on:-)  Overall, we walked about 2 miles of the trail.


SmugMug Link

I thought you'd enjoy seeing all the downed leaves and this landscape employee working to move sheets of leaves off the trail.


SmugMug Link

I also thought the bokeh in this shot and colors were very pretty.  Darn that line through the leaf!


SmugMug Link

Thanks for spending a few minutes on your Thanksgiving to check out what I was up to yesterday.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Eat lots of turkey and too much pie and most of all enjoy the family and friends that you are sharing the day with.

No comments: