Monday, November 21, 2011

A Perfect Day for Lake Johnson


SmugMug Daily Link

Our weather is just too good to pass up right now.  We hit 73 yesterday, and after a cloudy start, it was just as sunny as could be.  Joey had a real interest in going out in a pedal boat after seeing the ones at Pullen Park yesterday, and I thought Lake Johnson would be a good place to go to try to get him out on the water.  Donnie was game, important since I can't pedal right now, so around lunchtime we headed over.  Unfortunately, it was very windy, and they weren't letting rentals out on the lake.  The boys were pretty frustrated about that.  Johnny was looking forward to steering along with Joey's enthusiasm for getting out on the water.  Although I was eager to get on the trail to start the walk around the lake, the boys were not.  However, after listening to their 'concerns', we started out on the trail anyway.  It's just gorgeous underneath the trees this time of year with the light filtering through the amber colored leaves.  How could anyone not like a walk around the lake;-)  Johnny got into leaf collecting, and Joey seemed to enjoy blazing the trail out front.  We followed a sign to a scenic overlook, and before we knew it, we were on a forest trail leading down to the edge of the lake.  I should note that it's 3 miles around the lake on the asphalt trail and that there are 1.9 miles of non paved trails at Lake Johnson too.  We ended up back on the main trail about an hour later and kept heading around the main loop towards the boathouse/finish line.  By the time we completed the 3 miles, the trail was very crowded with runners, bikers, and folks walking their dogs.  This park is right beside NC State, so there are always many college kids in the park.  The reward at the end of the hike was Sponge Bob popsicles for the boys.

My daily is an HDR taken on the forest trail looking out onto the lake.  It was hard to pick a daily; I enjoyed several shots that I took at Lake Johnson.  Here are a few more showing the fun we had yesterday.


SmugMug Link

This is my favorite people shot of the day.  I was calling them my 3 bumps on a log as I was taking the shot.


SmugMug Link

This is my favorite leaf shot.  I thought the pretty orange on blue with the pine tree in the background adding some green was nice.


SmugMug Link

This is a beech tree shot that has a 3D effect after processing it with Photomatix HDR.  This tree was tall and in the deep part of the woods on our walk near the lake's edge.


SmugMug Link

I kept studying the leaves wherever they covered the water trying to scope out a worthwhile shot.  This is also processed with Photomatix.  I feel like the shot achieved a dreamy feel.  What do you see when you look into the water?


SmugMug Link

Our nice weather continues this week although the boys have 3 days of school before they got out for the Thanksgiving holiday.  I'll be out of work at least one more week.  Donnie has been great about getting me out of the house to keep up my spirits and support my photography as well as me getting some light exercise.  I'm so appreciative.  The kids and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves this weekend.

No comments: