Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Beneath the Forest Floor


SmugMug Daily Link

Yesterday on my way into my office building, I spotted these huge mushrooms along the forested walkway.  In NC, we have a lot of trees nearly everywhere...a mix of oaks, maples, sweetgums, tulip poplars, and loblolly pines to name a few.  I remember in years past large mushrooms popping up in this forest, and I knew right away that I wanted to a picture.  I wouldn't say that we've had a lot of rain in the last month in inches, but we've had a lot of overcast days where we had at least a brief shower.  There be fungus amongus everywhere:-)

The daily shot is converted to B&W and contrast adjusted.  Below, I used a combination of the plaster and bass relief filters and a gradient map.  I wish a tad more mushroom fan detail remained in the shot.  I redid it several times, and this was the best I could do.


SmugMug Link

The shot below is a cropped pretty good.  I loved the impressionistic forest canopy view.  I wish I'd realized how pretty it was, and after close focusing on the mushroom I would have taken several shots without the mushroom in them at all.  I just love those blues and greens.


SmugMug Link

No comments: