Saturday, October 15, 2011

Gulf Fritillary



SmugMug Daily Link

As we were leaving the Aquarium on Thursday, I spotted this gorgeous butterfly which turned out to be a Gulf Fritillary.  I was delighted to be able to get a few captures before he moved on!

Last year this time of year, I got a side view of the same type of butterfly about a mile away from the location of this year's shot.  I guess they thrive in that area of the state at least at this time of year.  I've never seen this type of butterfly in Raleigh.



SmugMug Link

It was a real joy to be outside yesterday.  The temps were lower and the humidity was lower.  I could walk around and not get a mosquito bite.  The mosquitoes have been horrible since Hurricane Irene went by.  The boys and I ended up at Yates Mill and enjoyed a walk around the millpond trail.  Johnny is just so cute playing robot all the time with sticks and other things on the trail.  There are hints of the glory of fall color to come, but mostly things are not turning yet.  It was quite windy, though, and you could feel fall rushing in.


SmugMug Link

Milkweed seed shell:


SmugMug Link


SmugMug Link


SmugMug Link

No comments: