Friday, September 23, 2011

Halloween Is the Spookin' Screamin' Trick or Treatin' Time of Year!


SmugMug Daily Link

It's wet and very cloudy this AM.  I measure .5 inches of rain over the last few days.  Some areas near me have gotten much more, but in my yard, the impatien pots under the trees are just shy of wilting still.  I just had to get out in the field yesterday AM wet and cloudy or not.  Yesterday, the cloud cover was not so thick, and I was able to get a few shots of wet morning glories and of a web spider web in a neighbor's yard.  As a matter of fact, this is the same spider/web that had the dragonfly a week ago.

I basically did some sort of tinted B&W conversion.  Then I went and shot a spider door 'wreath' that hangs in my house and pulled the spider out of that shot and laid it over the web.  Why does the quick select/grab tool rarely grab what I want...grrr...  Lots of erasing involved.  It puts my hand to sleep.  6 versions later I had the text added and mostly the way I wanted it to be.  We have a plaque bought at K-Mart a few years ago with the saying on it.  The layout seems nice but I'm not entirely satisfied with it.  After 6 tries, though, I'm moving on:-)

I really considered and debated and consulted my little voice on whether or not to post the nice wet web shot below or to post what I know many of you will consider quite an early Halloween posting.  But, it's not use, while some celebrate the first day of fall, at my house, we're gearing up for Halloween in a major way.  You know how kids are...the little kind and the big kind.  So you got the Halloween worked up version of the web. If you use the Smug search engine on my homepage and put in spider, you can see the spooky web shot I did last year and a few other neat web shots I've taken.


SmugMug Link

I just wasn't able to get quite the clarity I would have been over the top excited about.  I tried my best.  Sometimes I wish some of you with real gear were standing beside me getting THE shot.


SmugMug Link

I have several red-bellied (not red headed - I know it's weird) woodpeckers in my yard each day all year.  They are more elusive than the doves, titmouse, blue jays, cardinals, black-capped chickadees, etc.  This was shot 15' out past my kitchen window and cropped and sharpened and it's nice but not what I'd want.  Of course when the sun is out and it's bright I can never catch them:-)


SmugMug Link

You might remember that I told you the workers had gone through the local tobacco fields hand picking the leaves off the plants.  Well, this is what's left behind...think, tall stems with just a few not fully developed leaves.  I suppose if we have no frost until Halloween like usual that the workers may go through one more time and cut off  a few more leaves.  This shot does not quite convey the 'stick' feeling of the field now, but you get the idea.  I was out in this field to get the morning glory pics in the collage below.


SmugMug Link

Could this be a page in my calendar next year?  Maybe:-)



SmugMug Link

No comments: