Monday, July 20, 2009

I Spy a ?




Have you ever read one of the "I Spy" children's picture riddle books? The first time I read one, it was one of the big, hardback books. There is a list of words and sometimes pictures of items that you are supposed to be able to find in various darkly shot pictures throughout the book. I was lousy at finding the pictures. Plus, I wanted to read my kids a story not hunt for tiny objects in a photo. I wasn't sure they were for me.

Well, I've had a change of heart. First off, Joey can read the basic words now. Second, both kids delight in actually finding the objects in the pictures. Imagine Joey on my left and Johnny on my right on the love seat and us happily searching in the book I'm holding. Third, they make Level 1 reader "I Spy" books now. A little simpler for us older eyes.

We read "I Spy a Butterfly" after dinner tonight and then one thing lead to another:-) We started setting up our own I Spy style layout, and then we took pictures. The boys with their cameras and me with my camera. I got to use the tripod...woo hoo. It was a lot of fun scavenging the house for objects, arranging them, and then taking the pictures at various angles, distances, and with various lighting. You should have seen the tin foil blocking/redirecting the light coming from the lamp near the refrigerator. One of these days I'll have a real flash or flashes for my camera. Until then, there's nothing like good 'ol aluminum foil.

See what you can see in the pictures. And, if you need help, check out the homework that Joey did afterward with some of the printed picture images.

Enjoy!

No comments: