Saturday, May 9, 2009

Woodpeckers (and More!)

I was out the door early this morning to take pictures and go yard saling. Mostly I just took pictures.

No picture trip this time of year would be complete without taking a few daisy pictures (usually on Barber Bridge Road). Below is my favorite of the day.




At the entrance of a new development on Old Stage Road, I saw this bird. I thought maybe a yellow-breasted chat, but now I don't think so.





Just down the road a bit farther on Old Stage, there is an area near the new bridge with a bunch of dead trees. Not too surprising, I saw a lot of woodpeckers there.



Now, I can't tell what the bird below is, but he was outside his nest hole then inside and then flying away. Look to your lower right in pic 2 below to see him flying upside down for a second.



When I drove up to the bridge and got out, these 2 ducks flew off. I guess they are ducks... They aren't mallards, and I'm not sure.



After a few minutes, one of them flew to a nearby tree limb where I was able to get a better picture.



This is a red-headed woodpecker at his nest hole.



And, this is a northern flickr. In picture 2 below, the male is on the right/top.



At a water spot in Fuquay, I saw the guy below which I believe is a great-crested flycatcher.

This northern cardinal was behind Clubworx in Fuquay.



So was this downy woodpecker.



All in all, it was a good bird watching and picture taking morning. I'm always happy to get pictures of birds I've never seen or shot pictures of before.

All the pics from today are here.

No comments: