Wednesday, May 7, 2008

OK, that's it, I'm going back to Lake Wheeler tomorrow with the real 35mm camera and my 400mm zoom lense! I was so excited to get another shot of the Great Blue Heron today, but I just can't quite get the shot that I want. I think the bird on the piece of wood sticking up out of the water (2nd bird pic below) is a Cormorant. According to a bird loving friend of mine, Jackie Trickel, when the beak is yellow it's a Double Crested Cormorant, and when the beak is gray, it's a Great Cormorant. This picture shows a yellow beak. Jackie is also Assistant Park Manager for Crowder Park.




The boys were great helpers this morning. We took crackers instead of bread to feed the ducks, and Johnny discovered that he loves eating saltines:-) Johnny was excited to see the 'big bird' we'd been talking about too. And, yes, we were on our way to school.





On Saturday, at Yates Mill Pond, I also get a picture of Cormorant.



The rest of today's pics are here.

No comments: