Saturday, May 4, 2013
Male Bluebird with Worm (Feeding Time)
SmugMug Daily Link
Another shot of the father bluebird bringing his babies some food. Feeding 5 babies keeps the parents very busy.
To answer a few questions from yesterday.
1. Our boxes are about 5' off the ground. We followed the box hanging instructions on this site.
2. There is a nesting cup in the box that allows me to lift it out for viewing. We can do things like make sure there are no Cowbird eggs in the box.
3. We wait to inspect the eggs or babies until the parents are out of the box and only are in the area of the box for a few minutes. The usually watch overhead and then go right back into the box.
4. We'll stop looking in on the babies when they start to get near fledging so that we don't cause them to fledge prematurely.
5. I'll get more pictures this week but our weather is cold, windy, and rainy, so I may have to wait a few days until the weather is good enough to peek in.