Friday, February 22, 2013

Red-Bellied Woodpecker


SmugMug Daily Link

If you look closely, you can just see the red patch on her belly.  This is a female.  You can tell the difference by the red patch on their heads.  If it stops half way around, it's a female.  If it goes back to beak all the way around, it's a male.  I have both at my suet feeder.  These guys are shy and loud but also the biggest birds at my feeders except the occasional Blue Jay.

I know this shot is not very good technically,m but it's the best thing I shot today in the gray rain, and I thought you might enjoy it anyway.  A bit far away, low light, through glass, and worst focused on the tree bark and not really the bird.  Sigh.  She flew as soon as I took it.  On days when the sun is out, this area is shadowed or a bright glare.  I an't seem to win.

No comments: