Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Birthday Cake (Carrot)


SmugMug Daily Link

It's rare for us to have baked goods since we started on a low carb diet 10 months ago.  Now our treats are truly for special occasions like birthdays and some holidays.  Donnie's favorite cake is carrot cake, and since yesterday was his birthday, of course I wanted to make a very special one.  I used the Namaste Spice Cake mix and added in a cup of shredded carrots and some pecans.  This was my first time using a Namaste product, and I think it turned out pretty good.  In this case, the mix is gluten free and makes use of non wheat flours.  It's not organic, and I don't like the xanthan gum in it, but the ingredients are pretty basic/safe:
Evaporated Cane Juice, Sweet Brown Rice Flour, Brown Sugar, Tapioca Flour, Arrowroot Flour, Rice Milk Powder, Baking Soda, Salt, Cream Of Tartar, Xanthan Gum, Cinnamon, Nutmeg And Cloves.

The cake was a real hit with cream cheese frosting (2 8-oz. organic cream cheese, 1 teaspoon organic vanilla, 1 stick salted butter and 1 cup confectioners sugar).  

My birthday is up next (May), and I'm thinking cheesecake:-)
 

No comments: