Friday, July 4, 2008

The Great Canoe Trip



Joey and I had a successful canoe trip at Lake Wheeler this morning. It's the first time I have been out in a canoe since I was 10. Joey has been out in pedal boats, but I don't think in a canoe. We got there around 7ish and were on the water by 7:15. A very nice park ranger gave us the basics, and a push off, and we were on our way. We were instructed to head west against the wind to start. We went about half way to the Penny Road construction area when I turned us around. We needed to get back so Rick could go to work or I might have gone farther. We saw several fisherman/boats and rode a few boat wakes. The first boat wake was the only time we nearly capsized. Joey and I were not prepared for how it would feel. It rocked us back and forth pretty good. We turned around and manuevered our way back and were gone right at an hour. What fun for only $4. On the way out of the park, I stopped and took a few Great Blue Heron shots near the dam.

The rest of the pics are here.

No comments: