Monday, September 1, 2014

Great Blue Heron at Yates Mill


SmugMug Daily Link

Dennis Hoffman took this shot while we were at Yates Mill yesterday.  I spent some time last night post processing it using Nix Color Efex Pro.  This is one of those shots where you don't know it's coming, you see movement, and you point and hope.  Dennis is very fast and accurate with his large lens, and I was so excited to see that he got this shot.  I got one, but it is entirely blurry.

See:-(


SmugMug Link

Here is Dennis' original shot which he has in raw format.  Besides obviously cropping it, I used the darken/lighten center filter to lighten the head while darkening the grass.  I used the detail enhancer filter too bring out the feathers a bit more.  I also adjusted the contrast a bit.


SmugMug Link

Dennis got one other great shot of this bird too.


SmugMug Link

This shot was pretty dark, and I used similar techniques to lighten the bird and enhance the feathers.  I probably should do it one more time and see if I can make it even better.


SmugMug Link

Thanks to Dennis for letting more tinker with and post these shots.

No comments: