Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bluebird Chicks


SmugMug Daily Link

The bluebird box at Donnie's house had 2 eggs in it on March 22nd and yesterday on April 14th there were 3 very young baby bluebirds and one more egg that hopefully will hatch.  I put up a shot with my cell phone on Facebook and everyone was excited about it, so I thought I'd share a shot from my camera for my daily.

Here's a macro shot from a slightly different angle.


SmugMug Link

The mother bluebird was watching me closely, and I put the nesting cup back in the box pretty quick and let her come back in to check on her babies.  If I get a chance before they get too big, I'll get another picture when they have some feathers:-)

The boys and I had a lot of fun at the Robot Rumble at The Museum of Life and Science in Durham yesterday. Here's a fun collage showing my favorite pics of the boys and their robot friends at the event.


SmugMug Link

Here's another collage showcasing those same pics in with some of the activities that we did.


SmugMug Link

In the upper left, Joey is getting some help from one of the IBMers who was hosting a one hour session using  Lego Mindstorms robots.  The kids built 4 sensors including sound, light, and touch and then downloaded code to operate them and then had a blast testing them out.  I was very impressed with the session, and the pairs of 7-9 year olds seemed to follow along and enjoy the activity well too.  Johnny also built a Lego WeDo kit in the upstairs lab all by himself.  That pic is 3rd from top on the left and 2nd from top on the right.  It was another computer-assisted kit/activity. Also, there were lots of teams of kids of all ages their with the robots that they had built for various competitions.  3rd from top on the right of the collage are several of the larger robots that were used to shoot basketballs and/or act as goals for basketballs.  Very neat to watch these guys in actions and the high school kids running them and making adjustments.  We got information on how to start an elementary school team.  I'll think on it.  The boys enjoyed playing with Zibits and Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots too.  All in all, a very fun day!

I didn't get to explore the flowers or wetlands at the museum like I usually like to do, but I did sneak in 10 minutes in the Magic Wings Butterfly House entrance way garden where I took pics of this Pipevine Swallowtail.   It took me a while to identify this guy as a pipevine vs. a spicebush vs. just a black swallowtail or even a red-spotted purple.  Ugh...  I'm fairly sure the one row of orange dots make this one a pipevine.  We won't get into if it's a male or a female:-)


SmugMug Link

This guy never stopped moving his wings the whole time, and despite the bright light, all of the shots show the motion.  Still I thought you might enjoy this presentation that I took a few extra minutes to build vs. just collaging up three pictures.  The background is a missed shot of the scene where he and I were moving and it was entirely blurred.

I chased this Monarch Butterfly with even less luck!


SmugMug Link

Here's one last shot of the day of Joey's baseball team getting their group picture made.  Joey is top row left.  I ordered a real picture.


SmugMug Link

No comments: